Wednesday, June 27, 2012

This is about choices...

This post has nothing to do with the middle child.  It's all about the oldest one.  She is 15...very very 15.  She is beginning to take baby steps towards her future.  This past weekend she was baptized.  Admittedly I have been lax in teaching the kids about religion, so it fell to the nieghborchild and her pastor family to formally introduce the oldest to church on a regular basis.  I have always tried to instil values of acceptance and tolerance in the kids...all of a sudden she made some rather judgemental statements.  Hmmm. About the same time she decided to the lead singer in a friends band.  The band is loosely made up of some friends who kinda play instruments.  I didn't see anything coming of it and had to giggle in my hand when she told me that they we going to be a punk band (the Squnky Rocker on Wonder Pets is the only exposure to punk she has ever had- Oy oy oy!). And the boyfriend...I am not looking forward to him moving because I know that she is going to be so  miserable.  He is a nice kid and bonus he is smart.  All of this hit the perfect storm last night.He pastor told her she was going to go to Hell along with the boyfriend because she hasn't brought him to God, she told a band mate she didn't like the punk stuff (in reality more like goth) because it was depressing and had awkward talking, so she was kicked out of the band and she is hormonal. I believe that she has to figure out a balance for herself.  If I do it for her then how is she going to learn...I can give her advice, but I can't make her take it or even listen sometimes.  Of course when I tell all this to my mom she just laughs and reminds me of the very sage advice she gave me as a teenager...go wash your hair, you'll feel better.  I had the cleanest, shiniest hair in the world for a few years, but I also figured it out mostly and nobody was totally emotionally scarred.  Leap with both feet kiddo towards the future, just trust that a net made of your decisions will catch you.  Mommy will be over here with the camera.

1 comment:

Laura said...

I'm sending you hugs. The most difficult time in my life was four years ago when my middle son was going though a time like your daughter is now (suicide attempt, cutting himself,depression, anger, and drug abuse). No words of wisdom, but I wish I had a way to make this easier for you. My son is doing much better now. I wish the same for your daughter.